12.13.2013

Humility Circle of Do Good Stitches

Recently I sadly left my circle of Do Good Stitches to start another circle called Humility. Our quilts will be going to the residents of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. A friend actually got me involved in this worthwhile cause. For those of you who are unaware the Pine Ridge Reservations houses approximately 18,000 Native Americans. The reservation is stricken with alcoholism and poverty. The unemployment rate on the reservation is 80 percent. One in every four children on the reservation will be born with fetal alcohol syndrome. Many of the homes are nothing more than shacks with no heat or electric. Some may ask why these people would not leave the reservation but we all know how difficult it is to break free from generations of this type of behavior.
I chose the name Humility because I was told in Native American culture to give a blanket shows Humility. Our quilts will go to those in need in all stages of life but the social worker who delivers these is aware that our focus is more toward the children and teens. 
Anyhoo, there are ten of us making two blocks each month and you can see our progress in our  Flickr Group. 
Here are my November and December Blocks... 
 

If you ever get a hankering to make a quilt for charity I would be glad to send it out to the reservation for you! Just let me know!
Thanks for stopping in! 
Vickey 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful cause Vickey. The blocks are fun. If you ever need another member......

    ReplyDelete